Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Adirondacks 2009



We went to the Adirondacks for Labor day weekend. It's a beautiful place. All those who have already been to New Hampshire and Vermont and are looking for a new place to go, this is it! We went to Lake George and there are tons of things to do. This picture above is a view of the lake from Prospect mountain which we hiked up.



Jordan and I with a view of the Lake.



We also visited Fort William Henry which was a fort used by the British to keep the French at bay during the French/Indian war. It is also the site of the film Last of the Mohicans. This is the view from the top of the fort.



The kids had a good time at the Fort. There was musket loading, cannon fire and even a chance to march like the British army. Aren't my boys looking smashing in their uniforms?



This is what happens in the Gooch family if you don't eat your vegetables.


I'll fold that huge pile of laundry when I get a chance....I Promise!!!


They also had a place to test your skill at archery. Here's daddy teaching the first lesson.



And then he's on his own. He did really well. He even hit the bulls eye.


They had beading to represent the Indians craft at the time. Here is Scotty getting in touch with his femine side making one for Jordan.



Mohicans


We then went to the Natural Rock Bridge and Caves park. We hiked all around and went in a few caves. They even had a dinosaur dig for the kids.



Krazy Kasey!



They had this huge "family swing" right after the trail was done. This is a self portrait while in swing motion.


The boys searching for frogs in the cave pools that form in the canyon. On the last day, we also visited a Garnet mine. It's one of the largest in the world and is also New Yorks state stone. We were able to mine for Garnet and take home any we found. There are little pieces all over but we did find some bigger pieces stuck in stone that we took home. Garnet is my birthstone and I've never really thought it was very pretty; but, these were a different kind of a red/purple color. The kids had fun and Jordan found the biggest pot of us all.
We had a great time enjoying nature and getting away from the hustle/bustle. Now back to the grind.




This is a video of Scott and Jordan marching at the Fort. They could be in the Gaspee Day Parade don't ya think?? I have very shaky hands. I was also trying to walk at the same time, so I apologize for the shaky video. I hope you don't get dizzy.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow, you guys had a busy weekend! Lake George looks gorgeous, we've always wanted to visit that area.

The Bushman Family said...

Looks like an great weekend!!

April said...

It looks like a great place to visit. Especially with kids. Next time we are in New England....

maline said...

looks like you had a great time! I'm sad we missed it! We are planning on leaf peeping in Oct!